- ATARA CD Sampler
- Support ATARA
Conference 2016 - Partners in CREATION
Jan 22-24, 2016
Due to inclement weather, New York CIty travel restrictions and inoperability of Columbia facilities
TODAY'S (SUNDAY) PROGRAM WILL TAKE PLACE AT 433 TERHUNE AVENUE, PASSAIC, NJ 07055
in the community where we spent Shabbat, and at the home where our concert took place.
(THANK YOU TO THE DUBIN FAMILY!)
Further, we will BEGIN at 12 NOON and end by approximately 5pm.
*Please stay safe*
As we say in the arts... The show must go on! ;)
However, we do apologize for the inconvenience.
and thank you for your patience and understanding.
12-2pm and 3-4pm: CLASSES (see descriptions below)
Lunch and Presentation by Tzohar Seminary for Chassidus and the Arts, and presentation of theater and dance
Beginning at 4pm
Panel Discussions as Planned
--Humility and the Ego in the Performing Arts
--Nurturing Creativity for Ourselves and Our Children
POSSIBILITY of BRIEF DISCUSSION: Spirituality and Art
We welcome you to Passaic, NJ if you are able to make it safely, however we acknowledge that safety comes first.
May everyone have success in their day!
Malka Reyna 917-680-7819
Miriam Leah 917-686-1211
Dubin land line 973-249-1359
This year, we want to use our creativity to answer some hard questions.
As artists, we have been given GIFTS from Hashem. HOW WELL ARE WE USING THEM?
Our workshops and events this year will focus on
See adjoining page for Session descriptions and presenter bios.
THURSDAY NIGHT, JAN 21
Classical Music & Opera
including Sephardic and Yiddish works
Doors 7:45pm / Concert Begins 8:15pm
Marc Scorca Hall of The National Opera America Center
330 Seventh Av at 29th St. NY 10001
Rivka Nahari, Soprano ~ Yaffa Borukhova, Mezzo ~ Stephanie Kurtzman Barat, Violin ~ Mirele Rosenberger, Piano ~ Young artist Abby Harris, Piano and More
with special guests Soprano Shari Rosen from Baltimore and Vienna trained Dramatic Soprano Bracha Adrezin from Los Angeles
Musical Direction, Rivka Nahari, Jewish Center for the Performing Arts
NOTE: Inexpensive LOCAL hotel "Fairfield Inn & Suites" offers rooms from $93 to $115 with double beds, 2 blocks from the theatre.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Fairfield+Inn+%26+Suites+New+York+Manhattan%2FChelseaemail@example.com,-73.99144,15z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x6a8bef708bc91b6e With interest in sleeping locally to easily attend Friday's program, rooms can be booked at 212-206-0998. Several performers will be staying there and will travel as a group.
FRIDAY, JAN 22 - Men Welcome
The Oxymoron of the Orthodox Artist
11am-1pm Tour of The Jewish Museum Exhibit "Unorthodox" - http://thejewishmuseum.org/exhibitions/unorthodox#gallery
Followed by discussion: "Being Both Orthodox and Unorthodox: the Challenges and Needs of a Religious Artist"
SHABBOS SHIRA! EVENING
Hospitality arranged for those who sign up! firstname.lastname@example.org
Husbands/kids welcome with pre-registration
5pm Carlebach Davening in Passaic, NJ.
6:30pm Private Dinner for Program Participants - please sign up by Weds Jan 20, 1pm. "Shabbos Dinner Only" at http://www.eventbrite.com/e/atara-partners-in-creation-2016-tickets-1924...
COMMUNITY ONEG! For Passaic Women
24 Crescent Avenue, The Wolf Shul
8:30pm Improv Comedy! with Leah Bassett, Toronto based improv teacher!
9:30pm Get in HARMONY! Harmony Workshop & Performance - learn tips on creating harmony, with hands-on harmonization practice and performance!
SHABBOS SHIRA! DAY
10am Morning Coffee, followed by Davening
12:30pm Lunch with fellow genre artists. Eg Songwriter, filmmaker, visual artist clusters
3pm Optional Lecture: The overlap between Spirituality and Art
4pm Improv Comedy and Playback Acting - Games and More
5pm Seudat Shlishit, Personal Stories, Torah and Singing
MOTZEI SHABBAT, JAN 23
Superstars! All female Songwriters concert for women only
Original Compositions in guitar, piano or studio
8pm at Ahavat Israel, 181 Van Houten Av, Passaic, New Jersey
Miriam Sandler ~ Aliza Dubin ~ Shaindel Antelis ~ Nechama Cohen ~ Talia Lakritz ~ Esther Freeman ~ Elana Greenspan ~ Chani Levi ~ Hannah Stern ~Tzirel Mitzman ~ Esther Leah Marchette ~ Devorah Schwartz ~ Shira Dahan ~ Esther Berger ~ Batya Perlman ~ Nashira Passaic Women ~ & More
SUNDAY, JAN 24
PARTNERS IN CREATION - Day of Arts Learning for Women
Kraft Center of Columbia University, 606 West 115th St. (1 train to 116th St)
11am -12 Noon
- From Idea to Screen: Scriptwriting and Producing Process, Tips and Tricks
- Instructor: Leah Gottfried writes for both theater and film, as well as produces film, commercials and music videos in the NY area.
- Creating Your Own Opportunities: Master Class with Award Winning NY Coach Melanie Erlich
- Instructor: Melanie Erlich was nominated by Backstage Magazine as one of the top Voice Over Coaches in NY in her first year of business. She creates consistently innovative programming and is already considered a leader in her industry. http://www.melanieehrlich.com
- Masala Banga: Master Class in a New form of Bollywood Dance
- Instructor: Alvin Ailey instructor Deborah Kolb will lead this high energy dance that blends traditional Bhangra dance steps with the exhilaration of Bollywood moves.
- Voice Technique Basics
- Instructor: Shayna Sharon Miller brings 40 years of experience, as well as training from Brooklyn Conservatory, Juilliard and the American Academy of Dramatic Arts to her teaching.
12 Noon - 1pm
- Acting Master Class
- Instructor: Jessica Schechter, a graduate of NYU Tisch School for Educational Theater with an MFA in directing, and Theater Department head of Camp Tizmoret Shoshana, brings us 10 years of teaching experience.
- Flamenco Dance Master Class with Jewish Center for the Performing Arts Director Rivka Nahari
- Instructor: Dance Director Rivka Nahari trained and performed professionally before opening her premiere dance and performing arts center for girls and women in the heart of Flatbush, Brooklyn.
- Producers Speak: Learn Tips and Tricks for Marketing and Event Planning in the Arts
- Instructor: Co-led by JEWTA and Professional Women's Theater founder Adena Blickstein, and Five Towns Music Concert producer Shira Dahan, you will learn tips and tricks for starting an arts project or producing an event, creating buzz and publicity, and more!
- Classical Voice Instruction by Soprano Shari Rosen
- Instructor: Shari Rosen, Soprano, hails from Baltimore, MD with professional training and experience in classical vocal performance and pedagogy.
Lunch Program: Using Torah as a Basis for Your Art Methods and examples from Tzohar Seminary for Chassidus and the Arts
2pm - 3pm
- Dance Composition Workshop
- Instructor: Learn techniques in choreography and composition when developing your pieces for movement with Dance Educator and Barnard graduate Reina Potaznik, founder of Ladies Got Talent NYC.
- Master Class in Vocal Technique with Vienna trained vocalist and master Coach Bracha Adrezin
- Instructor: Bracha trained under world renowned maestros at the Vienna State Opera, and developed expertise in traditional Italian Bel Canto singing. As a professional opera singer in Europe, Bracha used to perform extensively as a concert soloist for grand balls in ancient castles and now has a singing studio in Los Angeles/Beverly Hills, where she specializes in coaching singers to develop beautiful vocal tone and assists women in releasing their inner power and joy through deep voice/breath release and movement.
- Basing Art on Sources of Jewish History
- Instructor: Visual artist, author and maggidah Shoshana Brombacher delves deeply into Jewish lore and legends, like Chassidic stories, biblical themes and midrash in the creation of her work. Learn how she researches and utilizes authentic sources in her work.
- TBA: Stress Relieving Techniques for Performing Artists
- Instructor: Alena Gerst Alena Gerst is a NYS licensed psychotherapist and certified yoga teacher specializing in the mind/body connection, and author of "A Wellness Handbook for the Performing Artist: The Performer’s Essential Guide to Staying Healthy in Body, Mind, and Spirit"
3pm - 4pm
- Turning Your Art Into a Business with Master Coach Deborah Gallant
- Instructor: Deborah Gallant is a New York City-based business coach with an MBA from Columbia University Graduate School of Business who helps hundreds of small business owners and service professionals including doctors, attorneys, accountants, coaches and consultants create thriving, successful enterprises. www.boldbusinessworks.com.
- Jazz Dance
- Instructor: Michelle Penn of Lazooz Dance, Baltimore has been dancing since the age of 3, performing with the Fort Lauderdale Children's Ballet Theater and Hubbard Street Dance Chicago before founding the Neve Dance Company in Jerusalem as well as Lazooz.
- Social Media and Your Music
- Instructor: Songstress Talia Lakritz is the digital content creator known as "nerdwithavoice" on YouTube, with her outspoken videos about Orthodox Jewish women's issues featured on BBC, NPR, Yahoo! News, The Huffington Post, Everyday Feminism, The Forward, and The Times of Israel.
- Using Arts in the Classroom
- Instructor: Tzohar Seminary Staff
4-6pm Panel Discussion & Networking Dinner Subjects Discussed:
5pm Dinner is served with Special Tu B'Shvat Dessert and Seder
Featuring original poetry and visual art
6-8pm NEW FRUITS Performances in Dance and Original Theater
Featuring Selections from
“The Shidduch Crisis” ~ “Mommy I Want a Cookie” ~ LaZooz Dance Company, Baltimore ~ Raise Your Spirits Company, Israel~ and more
8-10pm PARTNERS IN CREATION
Learn methods for creating original material and collaborating with others. Work towards the creation of new material in partnership with colleagues.
Discuss the process and get to a new level in your own art and creative vision.
MONDAY, JAN 25 - Men Welcome
10:30am-Noon - Workshop: Grant Seeking in the Arts
12pm - Lunch
12:30-3pm - ATARA Meeting - Direction and Involvement for the next year
For marketing your own program, contact email@example.com
We look forward to meeting you and seeing YOUR new fruits this JANUARY 22-24, 2016!
2016 Conference Made Possible By:
The Storch Agency www.thestorchagency.com
Tzohar Seminary for Chassidus and the Arts www.tzoharseminary.com
JEWtA Jewish Women's Talent Agency http://www.jewta.com
Camp Tizmoret Shoshana http://www.tizmoretshoshana.org
The Jewish Center for the Performing Arts http://jewishperformingarts.com
Aliza Dubin www.alizadubin.com